Daily GK Updates : Current Affairs May 7th , 2018
Dear Readers, Current Affairs section is the most important topic for any competitive exam. So every aspirant should know what are the current happenings in India as well as World to Score maximum marks in General Awareness Section. Keeping this in mind MarksBooster Team prepared Current Affairs May 7th 2018. So make use of it
Current Affairs May 7th 2018
National News :
1.First organised census for Indus dolphins to be carried out in India
For the conservation of Indus dolphins – one of the world’s rarest mammals – the Punjab government along with WWF-India are conducting the first organised census on their population.
- Found only in India and Pakistan, the Indus dolphins are confined to only a 185 km stretch between Talwara and Harike Barrage in India’s Beas river in Punjab.
- Officials from the Department of Forests and Wildlife Preservation, Punjab and WWF-India are currently working in two teams and will come to an estimate regarding the dolphin population over the five-day exercise.
2. GIS technology to strengthen Namami Gange Programme
National Mission for Clean Ganga has brought on board Survey of India, the oldest scientific department in the country set up in 1767, to facilitate the Ganga rejuvenation task by using Geographic Information System (GIS) technology.
- Through the project which has been approved in the EC meeting at an estimated cost of Rs. 86.84 crore, NMCG aims to strengthen planning and implementation at national/state/local levels.
- The project includes use of Digital Elevation Model (DEM) technology which ensures accurate data collection, an important aspect for river basin management planning.
- DEM technology enables identification of entire topography of an area making it easy for policy makers to analyse the available data thereby supporting the decision-making process.
3. RBI Announced Rs10,000 Crore Bond Purchases
ii. The 10-year government bond yield rose to 7.75% from 7.74% before the auction result was announced. The eligible participants should submit their offers in electronic format on the Reserve Bank of India Core Banking Solution (E-Kuber) system.
- Urjit Patel- 24th Governor of RBI, Headquarters- Mumbai, Established on- 1st April 1935, in Kolkata
4.Neeraj Chopra shatters own record, finishes 4th at IAAF Diamond League in Doha
Indian javelin thrower and the Commonwealth games gold medalist Neeraj Chopra has shattered his own national record at the IAAF Diamond League, being held in Doha.
- He cleared a distance of 87.43m to finish fourth in the season opening League series. Chopra had recently won the gold medal in XXI Commonwealth Games at the Gold Coast with a throw of 86.47m.
ii. The Minister of State for Social Justice & Empowerment, Krishan Pal Gurjar was the Chief Guest in the programme. Under the Assistance to Disabled persons (ADIP) scheme of the DEPwD, there is a provision for Cochlear Implant surgeries of hearing impaired children up to the age of 5 years at the cost of Rs 6.00 Lakhs per unit.
International News :
6. Vice President reaches Guatemala
Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu on Sunday reached Guatemala as part of his three-nation visit to Latin America.
- Naidu is on a five-day visit to Latin America’s Guatemala, Peru and Panama commencing from May 6. This is the Vice President’s first overseas visit after assuming office last year.
- A range of bilateral issues including the strengthening of institutional mechanisms for political interactions, multilateral matters, trade and commerce, investments, information technology, capacity building, traditional medicines, space, defence, and culture are expected to be discussed during his visit.
- Guatemala capital : Guatemala city ; currency : quetzal ; President : Jimmy Morales
7.NASA launches its latest mission to Mars
NASA has blasted off its latest Mars lander, InSight, designed to perch on the surface and listen for “Marsquakes” ahead of eventual human missions to explore the Red Planet.
- The project aims to expand human knowledge of interior conditions on Mars, inform efforts to send human explorers there, and reveal how rocky planets like the Earth formed billions of years ago.
- If all goes as planned, the lander should settle on the Red Planet on November 26.
- Its name, InSight, is short for Interior Exploration using Seismic Investigations, Geodesy and Heat Transport. NASA chief scientist Jim Green said experts already know that Mars has quakes, avalanches and meteor strikes.
Some more current Affairs
- Renowned Marathi Singer Arun Date Passes Away
- Border Roads Organisation to celebrate Raising Day 07 May 2018
- GST Council approves turning GSTN into a government entity
- 3rd South Asian Junior Athletics Championships in Colombo: India Tops With 50 Medals
- Vladimir Putin Sworn-In as Russian President for 4th term
Russia currency : Ruble; Capital : Moscow
- Skill India Organized ‘Ajeevika and Kaushal Vikas Mela’ in Bhubaneswar
Odisha capital : Bhubaneshwar ; CM : Naveen Patnaik ; Governor : Satya Pal Malik
- India and Sri Lanka agreed on cooperation on exchange of information and other aspects to tackle smuggling of drugs in both countries.
Srilanka capital : Colombo ; currency : Sri lankan rupee ; President : Maithripala Sirisena
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) notified the protocol amending the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and Kuwait.
Kuwait Capital : Kuwait City ; Kuwait Currency : Kuwait Dinar