Daily GK Updates : Current Affairs May 8th , 2018
Dear Readers, Current Affairs section is the most important topic for any competitive exam. So every aspirant should know what are the current happenings in India as well as World to Score maximum marks in General Awareness Section. Keeping this in mind MarksBooster Team prepared Current Affairs May 8th 2018. So make use of it
Current Affairs May 8th 2018
National News :
- India would be hosting the 15th Asia Media Summit (AMS-2018) in New Delhi. The theme of this summit is “Telling our Stories Asia and More”.
- The summit mainly aims to provide a unique opportunity to the broadcasters in Asia to share their thoughts on broadcasting and information. The annual summit will be organised by Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) in collaboration with its partners and international organisations.
- India has ranked fourth out of 25 nations in the Asia-Pacific region on an index that measures their overall power. The US has topped the list. India has been pegged as a “giant of the future”.
- The Lowy Institute Asia Power Index measures power across 25 countries and territories in the Asia-Pacific region, reaching as far west as Pakistan, as far north as Russia, and as far into the Pacific as Australia, New Zealand and the US.
- India is ranked fourth on the parameters economic resources, military capability, diplomatic influence and fifth on resilience.
3.India Signs USD200 million Loan Deal with World Bank for National Nutrition Mission
- India has signed a loan deal worth $ 200 million with the World Bank for the National Nutrition Mission (POSHAN Abhiyaan). The loan would help India in achieving its goal of reducing stunting in children 0-6 years of age from 38.4% to 25% by the year 2022.
- A large component of POSHAN Abhiyaan involves gradual scaling-up of the interventions supported by the ongoing World Bank assisted Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) Systems Strengthening and Nutrition Improvement Project (ISSNIP) to all districts in the country over a 3-year period.
- The POSHAN (PM’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment) Abhiyaan was launched by the Prime Minister in March 2018 at Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan. World Bank President – Jim Yong Kim.World Bank headquarters: Washington, DC.
4.China to organise film festival in Kolkata in July
China will organise a film festival at Kolkata’s Nandan in July this year. “A week-long film festival will be organised at Nandan, the film and cultural centre in Kolkata, in which seven Chinese films will be screened”.
5.Hyderabad Metro introduces exclusive coach for women
The Hyderabad Metro Rail Limited (HMRL) has introduced a special Coach exclusively for women in Metro train.
- The special coach was inaugurated by HMRL Managing Director N V S Reddy and L&T Metro Rail (Hyderabad) Limited MD and CEO K V B Reddy.
International News :
6.Venkaiah Naidu 3-Nation Visit: India, Guatemala Sign Agreement in Education Sector
- A pact has been signed between India and Guatemala for strengthening diplomatic cooperation through Respective Foreign Service Institutes in the educational field.
- The agreement was inked after a meeting between Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and his Guatemala counterpart, Jafeth Cabrera Franco in Guatemala city. The main focus of the meeting was on core sectors such as; pharmaceutical, cooperation in education, technology, conservation of wildlife, Yoga, Tourism and Automobiles.
- Guatemala Capital- Guatemala City, Currency- Guatemalan quetzal. President of Guatemala : Jimmy Morales.
Some More Current Affairs :
- Mr Hardeep Puri, Minister of State (I/C) for Housing & Urban Affairs inaugurated the ‘First Apex Conference for the CEOs of Smart Cities’ in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- NITI Aayog, Google Sign SoI to Help Grow AI Ecosystem in India
- The Indian Space Research Organization has developed an atomic clock to be used in navigation satellites.
- The National Small Industries Corporation Limited (NSIC) signed an MoU with Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) for the year 2018-19.
- China to organise film festival in Kolkata in July
- FIFA to hold eClub World Cup in Paris
- World Red Cross Day is being observed on May 08th Annually to commemorate the Birth Anniversary of Henry Dunant. This Year Theme is “Memorable Smiles from around the World”
- Russian President, Vladimir Putin chooses to retain Dmitry Medvedev as Prime Minister for his new term.
- Shabana Azmi Named Ambassador for Women in Public Service Project.