List of Prime Ministers of India from 1947 – 2018 :
Prime Ministers of India : Hello readers, Today topic is List of Prime ministers of India. The Prime Minister is the leader of the executive branch of the nation. The PM is also the Chief Adviser to President & head of the council of ministers. Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru was the first Prime Minister of Independent India and the current premier is Shri Narendra Modi. prime ministers of india
Prime Minister of India Salary :
The Prime Minister of India will be drawing a monthly salary of Rs. 1.6 lakh. His basic salary will be Rs 50,000, with a sumptuary allowance of Rs. 3,000, a daily allowance of Rs. 62,000, and an MP allowance of Rs.45,000.
Prime Ministers of India list :
|S.No.||Name||Party (Alliance)||Term of Office|
|Indian National Congress (INC)||15 Aug 1947 to
27 May 1964
|2||Gulzarilal Nanda (acting)
|Indian National Congress (INC)||27 May 1964 to
09 June 1964
|3||Lal Bahadur Shastri
|Indian National Congress (INC)||09 June 1964 to
11 Jan 1966
|4||Gulzarilal Nanda (acting)
|Indian National Congress (INC)||11 Jan 1966 to
24 Jan 1966
|Indian National Congress (INC)||24 Jan 1966 to
24 March 1977
|Janta Party||24 March 1977 to
28 July 1979
|Indian National Congress (INC)||28 March 1979 to
14 Jan 1980
|Indian National Congress (INC)||14 Jan 1980 to
31 Oct 1984
|Indian National Congress (INC)||31 Oct 1984 to
02 Dec 1989
|10||Vishwanath Pratap Singh
|Janata Dal (National Front)||02 Dec 1989 to
10 Nov 1990
|Samajwadi Janata Party with INC||10 Nov 1990 to
21 June 1991
|12||Pamulaparti Venkata Narasimha Rao
|Indian National Congress (INC)||21 June 1991 to
16 May 1996
|13||Atal Bihari Vajpayee
|Bharatiya Janata Party||16 May 1996 to
01 June 1996
|14||Haradanahalli Doddegowda Deve Gowda
|Janata Dal (United Front)||1 June 1996 to
21 April 1997
|15||Inder Kumar Gujral
|Janata Dal (United Front)||21 April 1997 to
19 March 1998
|16||Atal Bihari Vajpayee
|Bharatiya Janata Party(NDA)||19 March 1998 to
22 May 2004
|Indian National Congress(UPA)||22 May 2004 to
26 May 2014
|Bharatiya Janata Party(NDA)||26 May 2014 to
Short Note on Prime Ministers of India :
- Jawaharlal Nehru is the first Prime Minister of independent India and played a significant role in shaping modern India by imparting modern values and thinking. He was a social reformer and one of his major work towards society was the reform of the ancient Hindu civil code. It permitted Hindu widow to enjoy equal right with men as far as property and inheritance was concerned.
- He was the first ‘Interim Prime Minister’ of India.
Lal Bahadur Shastri
- He was the loyal follower of Mahatma Gandhi and gave the popular slogan ‘Jai Jawan Jai Kisan’. Shastri was a soft-spoken person who promoted ‘White Revolution’ to increase the production of milk in India.
- Indira Gandhi was the first woman Prime Minister of India and the world’s longest serving woman Prime Minister. Her courage and boldness made India win over Pakistan in 1971. She made a significant contribution in improving international relations with neighbouring countries.
- Morarji Desai is the first non Congress Prime Minister of India (Janata dal). He and his minister formally ended the state of emergency which was imposed by Indira Gandhi.
- As a Revenue Minister of Uttar Pradesh Charan Singh removed the Zamindari system and brought in Land Reform Acts.
Tenure – 31st October 1984 – 2nd December 1989 for 5 years, 32 days
- Rajiv Gandhi became Prime Minister at the age of 40 and played a major role in bringing computers to India. He actually modernized the Indian administration. He improved the bilateral relationships with the US and expanded economic cooperation.
- V.P. Singh worked to improve the condition of poor in the country.
- Tenure – 10th November 1990 to 21st June 1991 for 223 days
P. V. Narasimha Rao
- P. V. Narasimha Rao was one of the most able administrators who brought major economic reforms. He is also known as the Father of Indian Economic Reforms. He dismantled the License Raj and reversed the socialist policies of Rajiv Gandhi’s government. Because of his immense ability he was also referred to as Chanakya.
Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee was one of the finest Prime Ministers of India. During his tenure the inflation was very low in India. He worked on economic reforms and policies especially for rural India. It was during his tenure that India Pakistan relationship got slightly better. Telecom industry touched new heights.
H. D. Deve Gowda
- During this period, Deve Gowda also held additional charges of Home Affairs, Petroleum and Chemicals, Urban Employment, Food processing, Personnel, etc. He had been collectively elected leader of the United Front coalition government.
- The most important task during his term as PM was his resistance in signing CTBT(Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty). It made a clear way to conduct the Pokhran nuclear tests. He worked towards improving relationship with Pakistan and gave a five-point doctrine known as Gujral Doctrine.
- During the tenure of Manmohan Singh work was done to reform the banking as well as financial sector along with public companies. His government brought in the value added tax and worked on pro-industry policies. The National Rural Health Mission was started in 2005. Eight additional IITs were opened in Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Orissa, Punjab, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Himachal Pradesh.
Tenure – May 2014– Narendra Damodardas Modi assumed office on May 26, 2014.
- He is the 15th Prime Minister of India. Since the beginning of his tenure in 2014, Modi has laid down a strict and disciplined system of governance. He has enforced many policies such as the Jan Dhan Yojana, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan – aimed towards cleanliness marking the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi in 5 years, Clean Ganga project, etc. for the upliftment of the nation.
Thank you guys Hope it may help you for your upcoming exams.
You May Also Read :